Carrying on from my first development , I started to add more detail to some areas such as sensors on the arms, similar to the ones I was looking at on cars.
Here is the high poly sensor which I put into the mesh. I originally came across a issue with proboolen which when I subtracted the cylinder, it would effect the topology of areas around the model making it to impractical to use. Fortunately, I tried using imprint instead, which is something I never really considered using but this allows you to imprint the shape into the mesh allowing it to be extruded inwards. Virtually giving you the same result but without the topology issue.Then I had cut the topology to get quads proving to take some time due to the model already lines and extrusions that I had to cut over.
Here is the result with it opensubdived.
I then added these extra shapes into the back, giving it more detail as before it looked a little boring due to the lack of detail. This took a bit of time like the circle, due to cutting into the topology to make quads.
My next step was to use the low poly parts I save to reassemble the drone and make a low poly version. Due to using proboolean I could not revert back to the older edit polys, which meant that I could not delete some layers that would make it lower poly. Fortunately, I save in iterations so I went back to a older iteration which I could then import into the current one. Here I just cleaned up the topology of the main body. Most polys removed were ones from the edges used for opensubdiv. I attached the parts and packed them giving me the correct density. One issue I have realised with packing is that it does not use the uvspace efficiently, so if done manually it can result in better quality for textures though this takes more time. When I unwrap certain objects and position them in a certain way I want, it gets reallocated to different positions when packed instead of staying within that group. However, Paul told me a technique which allows you to group them together, so that if you go to pack them they stay within that certain group. So, in theory I could group the antennas, vents and arms separately, then pack them with them staying together resulting in a cleaner and more efficient uv map. I have not tried this out yet so I do not know whether this method would work better than manually moving everything onto the uv space, but it is certainly something I am going to try out. Eitherway, it is clear to me that I need to work better on my uvs, as it is something that gets overlooked.
I then went to bake within painter but I had issues with shading.It took a few attempts back and forth between Painter and max but I resolved the issue. It was due to high poly pivot not aligning with the low, resulting in it only baking part of it. I zeroed off the high pol, but I still had to move it to fit into the low.
Early on texturing, I came across a seam issue which I overlooked when unwrapping. I resolved the issue in Max, but I had to start again with texturing. This in turn made me lose time redoing what I had already done, which could have been avoided if I was more careful with checking seams and such. Clearly I need to spend more time being thorough checking seams during the unwrapping process, saving me time in the long run against situations like this one. I am now in the texture process experimenting with different looks and damage levels. I have the drone fairly dirty at the minute due to how long it has been neglected, but I may have one in pristine condition for a extra portfolio piece. I could have different texture representing different drones if I have more than one. I am also making sure to add texts and numbers to represent the drone, as well as the purpose with it saying maintenance on the vent.
From this asset it is clear that I need to spend more time in the uvmap stage. I would say it is one of my weakest areas in my 3d development and is one that can not be overlooked. In a similar area is unwrapping, such as the seam issue that could have been resolved if I spent more time checking the seams.
Renders of the drone –
Texture progress renders –