In order to continue filling out the space for our heritage project, I decided to model the Monument building which was distinctly missing from our square. I started by getting a wealth of reference photos, some of which I’ll link here –
I broke the building down into sections in order to understand how I could utilizing the modularity of the building, whilst also making the scale seem less daunting. I have also been trying to push for creating my own textures using substance designer, which I have been trying to use some more advance techniques with.
I created a good few variations of the brick, using two separate gradients going into a blend – one for background colour, and the other for a foreground grunge colour. Then masked with a grunge map allowing for a variation in the way it appears on the brick.
I had a good few variations and toned it down from the top, until I reached one that looked a little subtle in the worn down look. One thing missing is moss and other bits of dirt that it desperately needs to make it look more realistic. I have been looking into vertex painting on 3ds, but does not seem to intuitive. For example, I cannot see what I have painted until it is rendered. This could be a miss step on my part however. I am going to import the building into unreal now and learn how to vertex paint on there, which should hopefully turn out better.
Due to the building having a lot of intricate details, I decided to use mudbox in order to sculpt these out. But has turned out rather difficult to get the shapes I want. Still, this is one of the few times I have used it, with only really using it for creative futures for practice. I do aim to continue using this software, as it is one of the industry standards for sculpting and is widely used among 3d modellers.